History

The Northwest Research and Outreach Center, formerly the Northwest Experiment Station, was founded in 1895 on land donated to the state of Minnesota by industrialist and railroad mogul James J. Hill. This original tract of land totaled 476 acres. In 1905, a school of agriculture was added and operated in conjunction with the station until 1968, when it became the University of Minnesota-Crookston. In 1999, the Northwest Experiment Station changed its name to the Northwest Research and Outreach Center.